It’s almost time for Thanksgiving, and most likely, you have your plans set already. If you get to be the guest instead of the host this year, you probably know how lucky you are to not be planning, prepping and cooking such a giant feast. But do you also know you still have a responsibility as a good Thanksgiving guest?
Bringing a hostess gift should be your top priority once you’re invited to someone’s home for Thanksgiving. Choosing which gift to bring depends on a few factors, like how well you know your host or hostess, and how formal your Thanksgiving will be. Fortunately, the professionals at Zeidler’s Flowers in Evansville have broken down the types of gifts you should choose based on the type of Thanksgiving celebration you’ll be joining.
Why Are Hostess Gifts Necessary?
Bringing a hostess gift is not just a matter of etiquette, it’s also about showing your gratefulness to a gracious hostess. She’s been working hard to plan, prepare, cook and decorate for Thanksgiving, and her efforts should be recognized and honored. You do exactly that when you arrive with a token of your appreciation in hand.
Hostess Gifts for Friendsgiving
Friendsgiving is a new tradition that celebrates friendships that feel like family. Often it’s scheduled for the weekend before Thanksgiving Day, so everyone can still attend their family celebrations as well. If you’re participating in a Friendsgiving celebration this year, remember that your hostess may not have all the necessary accessories for serving a big meal to a large number of people. Help her out with some of these great hostess gifts:
- Trendy Serving Utensils: Your hostess may not have enough serving tools to handle the large volume of dishes available at your Friendsgiving. A gift of trendy, decorative spoons, cheese knives, or pie servers will be a welcomed sight.
- Side Dishes: It’s likely your hostess will ask you to bring a side dish or dessert to alleviate some of the cooking. Enjoy choosing your favorite dish, but also be mindful of vegan or gluten-free friends and plan your dish accordingly.
- Your Favorite Drink: If everyone is bringing a bottle to share, feel free to bring your favorite to introduce to everyone, including your hostess.
Hostess Gifts for a Formal Thanksgiving
Luxury Holiday Soaps
You may find yourself on the guest list of a formal gathering for Thanksgiving. If you know the event will be on the formal side, or you don’t know the host and hostess very well, consider choosing a traditional gift that they’ll love.
- Luxury Hand Soaps: A special treat your hostess can share with guests, a set of luxury hand soaps will be a beautiful addition to their guest bathroom.
- Fall-Scented Candles: Everyone loves candles, and your hostess can choose to enjoy your gift now or save it for later.
- Engraved Coasters: Beautiful coasters with a Thankful theme will look great all year long. Your host will find your thoughtful gift perfect for the occasion.
Hostess Gifts for a Casual Thanksgiving
Pretty Pumpkin Bouquet
An invitation to a more casual celebration with relatives and loved ones you’re close to can feel like a great excuse to skip the hostess gift. Don’t cave to the temptation- your hostess is still working hard and it’s still a thoughtful gesture to bring her something to show your gratitude.
- Flowers and a Keepsake: A beautiful bouquet of fall flowers in a keepsake container, like our Pretty Pumpkin bouquet, makes a lovely hostess gift. It will also make a great cookie jar for future holiday celebrations.
- Holiday-Themed Cookie Cutters: Speaking of cookies, a set of holiday cookie cutters makes a great gift they can use throughout the holiday season. It may even lead to some cookie-baking during the Thanksgiving weekend, but make sure your hostess is okay with more baking!
- Leftover Containers: Your hostess will love an extra set of plastic containers with lids for storing her leftovers as you clean up after dinner. Whether she sends some home with guests or stores them herself, she’ll be grateful for the extra help.
Your Thanksgiving celebration is sure to be a memorable time, especially when you start off on the right foot with a thoughtful gift for your hostess. If there’s ever been a good time to show thankfulness, it’s this holiday. For more great gift ideas, talk to the designers at Zeidler’s Flowers. We’ll help you choose the perfect gift no matter what kind of Thanksgiving celebration you attend.